Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I'll be a plumber in my next life.

So, we've been having problems with our sink for the last couple of months. It seems that every once and awhile it gets backed up and won't drain properly. We figured it had something to do with the garbage disposal so off to Home Depot we went to buy a new disposal. The handy hubby installed in and we figured we'd be set. Nope...the very next night our sink plugged up again.
I started thinking about WHEN our sink would get plugged. It started when Adam's dad moved here and after he made mashed potatoes. I decided to google "potatoes & gargabe disposals". Guess what I found out! You should NEVER put potatoe peels down the disposal because the starch creates a paste that plugs up the drain. Well, who knew??!!! I also found out that if you put baking soda and vinegar down the disposal, wait 10 minutes then flush with boiling water it will clear it out and make your disposal smell wonderful!
We thought we were done with sink problems but the very next night the husband accidentally spilled some wax down the drain. I wondered if my baking soda/vinegar trick would work for this too. Sure enough, it worked! In my next life, I'll be a plumber ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a happy thought ;-)