Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Color Run, Mud Run & Girls on the Run!

Running, running, running is what I've been doing recently. Each Saturday has been filled with a new and exciting 5K. I've been lucky to have a great running partner for each of the runs. Molly and I joined a few hundred Juneau-ites for Harborview's 5K color run. This was my first color run and I LOVED it! During the color run there are people along the path who throw colored corn starch on the runners. The runners end up covered in colors by the end of the run. The gorgeous weather and huge turn out definitely made it one of the most fun runs I've done. 

Our next run was a new one for us as well. We joined in on the annual mud run across the Douglas Channel. The course started in Douglas at Fish Creek. We ran across the channel over to the end of the Airport Trail in Juneau and back to Fish Creek. 

 The course was mostly sand and rocks but there were occasions where we had to cross through water up to our thighs.

The weather wasn't as nice as it was during the color run but it was still a lot of fun. 

Our next 5K was the Girls on the Run 5K. I've been coaching Girls on the Run this season and have had a great group of girls as well as assistant coaches. The 5K was definitely fun for everyone involved. There was face painting, hair coloring, sign making and other fun activities before the run. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to actually run because I was busy passing out medals to the girls as they crossed the finish line. 






 My latest 5K was a Suicide Awareness run at Sandy beach. This was an especially meaningful run for me since our student's mother committed suicide this year. I was fortunate enough to be able to participate in this run with my student and help raise awareness and support such an important cause.

There were some pretty awesome door prizes and I was the lucky winner of a gift certificate to our local thai restaurant. I can't wait to use it! Molly and I are trying to run as many 5Ks as we can this summer. I'll also be running the half-marathon again with my friend Charisa! She'll be coming up to visit and run her first half-marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a happy thought ;-)